Jamie Innes Humanist Celebrant Privacy Notice
This privacy notice sets out:
● the information I collect about you
● how and why I use it
● who I share it with
● your rights and how you can exercise them
● the steps I take to keep your personal information secure
● how to make a complaint about how your information has been used
The information I collect
I currently collect and process the following information:
● your name, email address, home address, telephone number and other contact information;
● demographic information, such as your age or gender;
● details of your wedding, funeral or naming ceremony. For weddings, this will include information about your partner;
● records of any payments, outstanding balances and other financial information;
● photographs, videos or audio recordings
● other information from correspondence and other types of communication we have had.
How I collect information about you
The information that I process is supplied directly by you via:
● e-mail correspondence;
● enquiries submitted via the Humanist Society Scotland website (https://www.humanism.scot);
● Secure Your Date bookings made via the Humanist Society Scotland website (https://www.humanism.scot);
● correspondence via social media platforms (including but not limited to Instagram, Facebook and Twitter);
● telephone or in-person conversations;
● any paper correspondence you submit;
● interactions with the e-mails that I send you.
I will also receive information about ceremonies directly from Humanist Society Scotland where you have asked them to choose a celebrant on your behalf. You can read more about our data sharing arrangements later in this notice.
Why I use your information
I require a lawful basis to process your personal information. These include:
● consent (for example, opting in to receive direct marketing);
● delivery of a contract with you, or taking steps to enter into a contract;
● that it is required in order to comply with a legal duty;
● for our own legitimate interests, where we have assessed that it is fair and balanced to do so and the processing is within your reasonable expectations.
When providing humanist weddings, Humanist Society Scotland celebrants must record special category data in the form of information revealing your sexual orientation. All celebrants and the Society ensure that heightened security and confidentiality measures are in place regarding this information.
I use your information for the purpose for which it was collected, and carefully balance whether any additional purpose is compatible, reasonable and non-detrimental to your rights and freedoms.
My purposes for using your information
Responding to enquiries
Any enquiry that you make via email, a contact form on my website or via my social media pages is stored securely and used only to respond in relation to the enquiry you’ve made.
Keeping records of ceremony bookings
When you confirm a ceremony booking with me, your basic contact information, the details of your ceremony, and a copy of your script are shared with and stored by Humanist Society Scotland. You can read more about how we manage this relationship later in this notice.
This ensures that your ceremony is covered by the Humanist Society Scotland Promise (https://www.humanism.scot/humanist-ceremonies/the-humanist-society-promise/) in the event of an emergency.
Processing and maintaining records of payments received from you
I will keep records of any payments you make in line with my statutory financial reporting obligations. These records may be shared with a third party such as HMRC if required in the process of fulfilling these obligations.
Carrying out research
I may use information collected about you to reflect on and improve the services I provide, or to inform my marketing strategy. Where such activities involve a third party, your information is anonymised or shared in the form of aggregate data to prevent your identification.
Improving the user experience of my website
A cookie is a small file of letters and numbers that is downloaded onto your computer or stored in your browser when you visit our website.
Cookies are used to make my website work by:
● Keeping you logged in as you navigate around my website
● Remembering any actions you have taken (such as closing a banner)
Cookies also help with analysis of the behaviour of visitors in order to improve service and resolve any technical issues that persist. The services that we use are:
Google Analytics cookies compile visitor statistics such as how many people have visited a website, what type of technology they are using, how long they spend on the site, what page they look at, how people reached this site (e.g. from a search engine), how they use the website, and whether they have been here before.
For more information on the cookies set by Google Analytics please refer to the Google Analytics website.
Who I share your information with
I will never sell your personal information.
I do share your information in order to carry out day to day activities. I take steps to ensure that your personal information is adequately protected by the services I use.
● IT suppliers that host and support my website;
● cloud service providers;
● social media platforms (see below);
● Humanist Society Scotland (see below)
Facebook & Instagram
I act as a joint controller with Facebook under the agreement available here.
I use Facebook Insights data to research how visitors interact with my Facebook page. You can read more about this here.
Humanist Society Scotland
Where you submit an enquiry to me via the Find A Celebrant page of the Humanist Society Scotland website, use the Secure Your Date service via the Humanist Society Scotland website or confirm a ceremony booking directly with me, I act as a joint controller of this information with Humanist Society Scotland.
If you wish to exercise your rights in relation to this information, you can contact either party to make your request.
Other third parties
I may also disclose your information to third parties if compelled to by law, or to comply with any legal obligation.
How long I retain your information for
I store personal information in accordance with my legal obligations, and depending on the purpose for which it was collected.
I may retain a record of your preference where you opt out of receiving marketing communications.
I document and regularly review retention periods to ensure they are appropriate.
Keeping your information secure
I ensure that all devices accessing personal information or networks containing personal information are secure and kept up to date. I also protect your information via:
● Use of password management software
● Encrypted file sharing
● Two-step authentication
● Secure storage of physical files
Your data protection rights
You have certain rights under data protection law, as follows:
Right of access - You have the right to ask us for copies of your personal information.
Right to be informed - You have the right to be informed of how we collect, store and otherwise use your personal information. This privacy notice and other notices on paper and digital forms are provided to uphold that right.
Right to rectification - You have the right to ask us to rectify information you think is inaccurate. You also have the right to ask us to complete information you think is incomplete.
Right to erasure - You have the right to ask us to erase your personal information in certain circumstances.
Right to restrict processing - You have the right to ask us to restrict the processing of your information in certain circumstances.
Right to object - You have the right to object to the processing of your personal data in certain circumstances.
Your right to data portability - You have the right to ask that we transfer the information you gave us to another organisation, or to you, in certain circumstances.
You are not required to pay any charge for exercising your rights. If you make a request, I have one month to respond to you.
Please contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org if you wish to make a request.
How to complain
You can also complain to the ICO if you are unhappy with how we have used your data.
The ICO’s address:
Information Commissioner’s Office
Helpline number: 0303 123 1113
Or contact them online: https://ico.org.uk/concerns